1 cup red lentils
1 tspn tumeric
1 medium onion, diced & divided in half
1 tspn fresh sliced ginger
1 cinnamon stick
5-6 curry leaves
Maldive fish (ground)
1 tspn Ghee
Dried Red pepper (to taste)
Lime (to taste)
1 cup thick coconut milk
Salt (to taste)
1) Wash lentils until the water is clear.
2) Put lentils in pan and cover with water (water should be 1/2 inch above the lentils.)
3) Add turmeric, half the onion, ginger, maldive fish, cinnamon stick, curry leaves to lentils. Cover and boil until water is absorbed.
4) Take off the flame and place in bowl.
6) Add ghee to pan & fry remaining onions & dried red pepper. Cook until pale gold colour.
6) Combine cooked lentils, the mixture & coconut milk.
7) Return to flame and warm through. Salt to taste. Finish with a squeeze of lime & stir.
8) Serve with rice & curries.
Print this recipe Email this recipe
© Malini's Kitchen :: Sri Lanka Recipes