see notation below for half & half
Pumpkin Mushroom Soup
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 lb. onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. curry powder
3 cups chicken broth
1, 16-oz. can pumpkin
1 tbsp. honey
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 cup half & half (mixture of whole milk and heavy cream)
1/4 teaspoon (or to taste) cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper to taste
Emeril's Essence to taste (recipe below)
1. Sauté mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. (or a mixture of a
small amount of butter for flavoring, and an equivalent amount of olive oil
to bring total amount of oil up to 2 tbsp.)
2. Stir in flour and curry until well incorporated to make a flour roux with
the mushrooms & onions.
3. Gradually add chicken broth, mixing thoroughly with the roux.
4. Add honey, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a gradual boil over medium heat until mixture starts to thicken.
6. Add pumpkin, mixing thoroughly, and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
7. Slowly add half and half and heat to mixture, but do not bring to boil.
8. Add Emeril‚s Essence, salt and pepper to taste. Additional cayenne if desired.
Top with sour cream, croutons, and fresh parsley or chopped green onions.
Emeril's Essence seasoning
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Print this recipe Email this recipe
© Malini's Kitchen :: Sri Lanka Recipes